Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Lemon Cupcakes with Raspberry Buttercream

It has been far too long since my last update... I have been making lots of summery goodies lately, these were especially well-received, so I thought I'd post them here.




I used the Lemon Vanilla Cupcakes recipe from Vegan Cupcakes Take over the World (or, just use your favorite vegan vanilla cupcake recipe and add the zest of 1(organic!) lemon and 1/2 tsp of lemon extract. The extract is a nice touch but totally not necessary (and I recommend using 1/2 tsp, not a tsp as the recipe calls for).

For frosting, I just used my favorite vegan buttercream recipe (I'll post it shortly!), adding in about a 1/3 cup raspberry puree (blend raspberries, strain out the seeds) and 2 tbsp Cointreau (or other raspberry liquor).

As you can see, I topped them with more fresh raspberries (yum!) and some vegan colored sugar (from India Tree).

These were so pretty I had to take more pics...












2 comments:

  1. We haven't had a bad cupcake from that book!

    2 tbsp Cointreau (or other raspberry liquor).

    Cointreau is an orange liqueur. Chambord is the most recognizable raspberry one (although honestly, Cointreau was a better pick).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love vegan baking and cooking. I love to decorate cupcakes and am on a constant search for completely vegan sprinkles/dye, etc. Just to let you know, I had emailed India tree to see if their sparkling sugar line was made from refined sugar that was filtered through bone char and they told me it was. So, I don't know if everyone would consider that vegan. The only good thing about India Tree's products is that they do not use artificial dyes in their food coloring. alot of other companies do and that dye can come from insects. India Tree's food coloring is okay, but I would shy away from the sprinkles if you want them to be completely vegan

    ReplyDelete